Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Insurance

After some web-based research, I paid a visit to my doctor on Monday to get her advice about which vaccinations I should get prior to my trip. A faithful follower of the CDC (Center of Disease Control) guidelines, she suggested I get up to date on vaccines for routine concerns such as polio, diphtheria, measles and tetanus. Recommendations specific to the region are vaccinations for hepatitis A and B, typhoid, as well as an antimalarial drug, a pill taken daily during your trip. Further concerns of varying degrees are avian (bird) flu, dengue and yellow fevers and rabies.

France or Sweden anyone?

Despite this alarming list of potential hazards, absolutely no vaccinations are required for entry into Bali, and many visitors go "au natural" and do just fine. So I bumped up against two life approaches that inform, generally, decisions that I make for myself: a) more and more I appreciate an holistic or naturopathic approach to self care, and being healthy and blessed with a good deal of common sense, I should do just fine... skip the cost and pain and just go, and b) let's face it, I'm a practical girl, and not a real risk-taker with my health and safety... just shoot me.

So, I got shot. And it hurt. And since the deed was done on Monday, I've been extremely achy, tired and even dizzy at times, and my left arm (site of the tetanus and hep a injections) feels like it might just have taken a bullet.

Did I make the right decision? I may never know. But as I've mentioned, when I follow instructions, when I cover my bases, when I'm organized and prepared -- I feel better about what lies before me. It may not be sexy, but it's insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment