Friday, March 20, 2009

Batik

Yesterday morning I went to a village north of Ubud to meet a man named Widya for Batik instruction. I thought I was in for a quick half-day lesson in Batik, and just packed a bit of water to keep me going until lunch (I'm sure Widya wondered why I had traveled so light). I sketched out a design, transferred that to rough, white cotton fabric, learned how to work with dark, molten bees wax and handle a primitive wax "pen." Widya helped me a lot, and truly my first batik is a collaborative effort. I asked him to sign the piece with me, and we both did so ceremoniously, taking pictures to mark the occasion.

Then there was hand-painting the piece then letting it dry, then dipping it to make the painted parts were "color fast." Then we added more wax design on top of painted sections, and dipped the piece in a robin's egg blue. When I left eight hours later, my batik was drying on the yard next to his shop, while ducks and chickens paraded by. I was beat and hungry. I didn't have it in me to wait for my batik to dry this second time, adding yet more wax design before dip it in a darker blue. After that, we'll need to dip it in the color fast solution again before boiling the fabric to remove the wax and see the final version.

Widya has a wife and two sons. He lives in a village of 700 people, in a home (on a small farm) that belongs to his wife's parents. He learned the art of Batik over 20 years ago, and used to work in Java (Indonesia) in a Batik factory. His brother is still there, and has some of his work published in a book on Batik that floats around Widya's shop.

Widya is warm and funny, and we became friends pretty quickly. Throughout the day we sipped ginger tea and laughed while teaching each other Indonesian/English words. As we shared the job, the art, of batik, we'd say to each other "yes, dear" and "no, dear." Widya started this term of endearment, and each time he said it he laughed so hard he'd nearly fall off his little wooden chair.

I'm heading back today to finish my first batik and to start two other pieces. It's gonna be another great day!

1 comment:

  1. It's sounds like you have settled in well and are beginning to truly enjoy your environment. I can't wait to see your pieces.

    ReplyDelete